Thursday, February 26, 2009

Snowboarding


This week I chose to write about the extreme sport of snowboarding. This is known as one of the fastest growing snow sports where it branches into the five domains of slalom, boarder cross, big air, slope style ad half pipe. Each of these requires specific technique, varying skills and great levels of physical fitness. Riders physical demands possesses strength, power, speed, and flexibility where each is as equally important as the other. Every Sunday I take a day trip to Vermont with some friends to go snowboarding at either Stratton or Okemo Mountain. As a snowboarder, I find that this sport requires as much physical fitness as any other sport would. In my own experiences I always feel a lot of stresses on the lower extremities because of the constant body maneuvers that are directed by your leg movements. When you are carving and turning your board you use various leg muscles such as your Sartorius, rectus femoris, gastrocnemius, bicep femoris, achilles tendon and of course your quadriceps. After my first run of the season I usually wake up the next day feeling very soar and stiff because I don’t regularly work out all these muscle groups that are used when riding. Besides all the physical aspects that relate to snowboarding, I feel that this extreme sport comes with a lot of courage, confidence and challenges. One thing I really enjoy about snowboarding is being able to cruise down the mountain and enjoy the atmosphere however, it takes built up confidence to increase your speed knowing you can easily slip or loose control. While riding up the ski lifts, I frequently witness accidents, where someone looses control or people getting ridden down by the ski patrol. This can be a very dangerous sport because you have to be cautious of your surroundings and what path you are taking. I give competitive and free style riders a lot of credit because it takes a lot of courage to be able to do all the fancy tricks and jumps. If you have never been, I highly recommend trying it at least once because it is truly an excellent work out and a nice day away from home.

1 comment:

  1. I thought this blog was very good. I totally agree with all the things Ariana said about snowboarding. People do not realize how great of a work out snowboarding is. While snowboarding you burn a lot of calories. It is a great form of exercise due to the fact like Ariana said you work muscles in your leg that don't usually get used.

    ReplyDelete